· Train employees in the safe use of knives and safe working practices when sharpening them.
· Use a knife suitable for the task and for the food you are cutting.
· Cut on a stable surface.
· Carry a knife with the blade pointing downwards.
· Store knives securely after use, eg. in a scabbard or container.
· Use protective equipment as required. For de-boning, it is recommended that a suitable protective glove is worn on the non-knife hand, and a chainmail or similar apron is worn.
· Leave knives loose on worktop surfaces where they can be accidentally pushed off.
· Use a knife as a can opener.
· Carry knives while carrying other objects.
· Engage in horseplay with a knife.
· Carry a knife in your pocket.